I have a little boy. He just doesn't seem like a baby anymore. Well, aside from the poopy diapers, tantrums, and his most reliable form of communicating being grunting. Other than that, he's ready to go get a PhD from Harvard.
I know he's growing up, because yesterday he got his first time out. I was sweeping the floor. Because we had just sprayed for bugs and I hadn't swept the floor for a couple of days, it was pretty disgusting. Also known as Boy Heaven.
He stayed away until I had collected a pretty good pile. He was gleeful at his discovery. Look at all this dirt! And dead bugs! I need to pick them up! This is the best day ever!
I told him no, removed him, and tried to build a wall of kitchen chairs to keep him away. But he's so darned skinny he maneuvered through my makeshift road block and was back in no time. This went on several times, with Nathan being convinced this was the best game ever and me getting increasingly disgusted with the cleanliness of his hands.
He scattered the dirt in one great joyful sweep with his hands as I slammed the broom down, swooped him up, and deposited him in his room with the door shut. And I peacefully finished sweeping the floor while he screamed at me.
Later, to make peace, I let him go outside and play with the outside dirt. That dirt seems so much cleaner, doesn't it?
3 comments:
So are you happy or sad about this "baby no more" stuff? or maybe happy AND sad. He is such a cute boy.
I am happy and sad. It's fun to see him become more of a little person every day. But I miss the snuggly-ness.
I love your descriptions and the way you say things. Nathan sounds like a hoot.
Post a Comment