Thursday, January 7, 2010

Almost All Together


Well, I'm home. That brings the home-to-hospital ratio to 3:1. We're going to use our best powers of peer pressure to change that situation.

But you're thinking, wasn't this baby not due for another six weeks? And not scheduled to come for three? Yes and yes. Here's the story.

Sunday morning, just as I woke up (very convenient, that, as it kept the sheets clean) I started bleeding. We called my mom to come get Nathan and we headed to the hospital. Once there, I started having contractions and my cervix was beginning to dilate. So, since we were so close to the 34 week deadline (2 days shy), they just decided to make a birthday of it. So we prepped for surgery and I waddled back into the OR, where I was welcomed by strains of Frank Sinatra singing, appropriately enough, "I've got you under my skin."

My platelet count had come up in the last two weeks, so I was able to have an epidural instead of general anesthesia. So I was glad to be able to hear Clara's robust squawk as they pulled her out. They took her into the next room to clean her up as they sewed me back together, and I could hear her cries through the closed door. That was very reassuring that we had a healthy spunky baby on our hands.

Although she's breathing on her own and doing very well, she's in the NICU until further notice. She was born before she learned how to suck, swallow, and breathe at the same time. So right now she's being fed through a tube in her nose. Once she's eating on her own she'll be able to come home.

Today when we went to visit her she stayed awake for a long time, just looking around and being generally cute. All the nurses say they've never seen a blonde baby with so much hair. And she loves to pull on the tube taped to her cheek with her long delicate fingers.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd have to says she's my favorite newest niece at this point. (don't tell the other new nieces though)
I'm glad frank could be there, I've been getting that song in my head a lot lately, so it's like you were in my head. I hope you found it comfortable. I'm glad everything worked out so well. I hope she comes home soon, i'll think eating thoughts at her it should help....

Amy said...

She is so pretty!! I hope she gets to come home soon.

Barbie Mills said...

She is beautiful. I'm glad you're home! Congrats to everyone!

Platelets? Do you have ITP? I do--I'd be interested in talking to you. Glad they were up enough for an epidural! How nice to remember her being born rather than the alternative, besides some of the other side effects of anesthesia.

That's hilarious that song was playing. It makes you wonder if they do that on purpose.

The Barton family said...

She is so cute and yes so much hair!!!! I can't wait to visit you and your little girl. I wanted to come up this week but our little Sofia has a wonderful cough. I thought it would be gone by now but at last it isn't. I am so happy for you!!!