Monday, June 21, 2010

Only a month and a half late

We blessed Clara May 2. And here are the pictures. I wouldn't have bothered posting them so late, but I wanted to brag on my sweet grandma.
The dress Clara wore my grandma made in 1950, before the birth of her first child. It was worn by my mom, my two aunts, my sister, two of my cousins, and me. I ended up with the dress as the youngest female grandchild. And now Clara is the third generation to wear it.
The dress is slightly yellowed with age; our best efforts to whiten it got it to an antique white/cream color. 
But the delicate hand-embroidered flowers are as beautiful as ever. My grandma also crocheted the lace, copying the pattern of the lace that was used on her own blessing dress, from 1928. 
 My grandma is a crafter extraordinaire. She has made innumerable beautiful things with her hard-working hands. I didn't inherit the patience to learn those skills. I'm a reluctant sewer. An amateur crocheter.

But at least I did inherit the ability to appreciate the beauty and in this small dress, so painstakingly created. And I'm glad I could give my grandma and my daughter this gift, to pass along this small piece of our family's heritage.

1 comment:

Shelly and Kellan said...

Wow that is so cool! I am just looking for a blessing dress and in NO way will it be as special as this. Very neat Hillary!