Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sundries

Well, no pictures this time. Turns out I haven't taken any pictures since January. So, a little about what we've been doing.

Clara has decided that unless I'm holding her, she's been neglected. Maybe she keeps playing with the phone because she's trying to call DCFS on me.

She was fussy on during sacrament meeting, and was starting off Sunday school in the same vein. A friendly, sweet older man walked in and good-naturedly growled back at her. She started shrieking. I went in the hallway for a few minutes, came back, and sat down. The man had sat down in the row ahead of us, and once she saw him, the shrieking recommenced. I spent the rest of Sunday school hanging out with my friends in the primary presidency, and in the nursery. She caught sight of him in the hall later and started whimpering. He felt really bad. Poor brother Parker. He's such a nice man.

As for Nathan, it's begun. The potty. We started I think last Friday, just sitting on the potty for a few minutes all weekend. By Monday, I had a goal to just get him to pee on the potty once, so he could get an idea of what it was all about. So, once we got home from exercising, I started giving him drinks. Then we sat on the potty, read books. After every book, and after a while after every page (Richard Scarry books can really take a long time), I gave him a drink of water. Every now and then I would hopefully check the potty. Nothing. After an hour and a half, I was done. "Are you ready to get off the potty?" Nope. He wanted another story. His enjoyment of reading really is helping us out with this whole potty thing. And I really couldn't let all this time I'd invested go to waste. Another thirty minutes and one more story did the trick. Two hours. It was excruciating. Can you imagine how excited I was? I'm pretty sure Nathan got the gist of how happy Momma was with him. Today, the second time he's peed in the potty, he only had to sit for 30 minutes. Which is good, because I don't have the kind of mental energy it takes to sit in the bathroom all day, every day. I'm getting some books from the library because I really don't know what I'm doing.

And what's Clara doing during all this? Sometimes she's napping, sometimes she comes and peeks at the book we're reading, sometimes she whines for me to hold her, and the rest of the time she's emptying the drawers and cabinets of toiletries.

Nathan also really enjoyed getting to see pictures of Ethan on the computer. It made him want to go to Ethan's house. Which I guess, since we have passports, we will do sometime. After it warms up, of course. Thanks for updating us on all your Canadian adventures. We miss you guys.

And, not to brag or anything, but it's been freakishly warm here. Yesterday we went outside to play. Clara was napping, Nathan played in the sandbox, Danny (we were babysitting) played baseball, and I raked leaves. It snowed before all the leaves had fallen last November, so I'm just getting around to it. I tried to not let myself get seduced by the feel of spring, but I was. Which makes it all the more awful that I know it will get cold and snowy again. Curse you, fickle Utah weather.

1 comment:

Kay and Jessie Barton said...

Good luck with the potty.
Daddy was very near three when I finally caved in and taught him what "Big Boy Pants" were and where to put that stuff that comes down your legs. He did great very quickly. My mom chided me for waiting so long, but with the two boys so close, I was just trying to be practical and get them both at the same time. The younger boy didn't get the idea near as quickly. Grandma wishes she could come have a turn reading and waiting and holding little sister, too. But, that probably wouldn't work since they both prefer Mom. I don't blame them. She is very special. Thanks Hillary. We love you.