Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A place of refuge (and lots of bragging)

This is Clara's favorite place. When it gets a little suspiciously quiet in the house, I have to go looking. While Nathan is usually downstairs absorbed in trains or cars, I usually find her here. With a book.

The only drawback is, it's not her place. She wishes it were, but her lucky older brother gets to sleep here every night. But I have a feeling she's biding her time.

(By the way, did you notice the horrid green walls are gone? I'm almost ready to unveil the new kids' room. Did I mention I was redoing it? I am. And it's taking me a while to finish.)

Clara's really learning a lot. A couple weeks ago we had a real conversation:

Mom, side please?

No, we can't go outside in our pajamas.

Yes!

No.

Yes! (accompanied by heartbroken wailing.)

It's so refreshing to ask somebody a question, and know that they really mean their answer. Nathan's knee-jerk reaction to everything is no, even when I know he really wants it. It's making me crazy. But when Clara answers, it's definite. There's no waffling here. (Now waffles sound really good.)

Last week we left the kids at their cousins' house so we could go to the Salt Lake temple. We missed the 7:00 session, and had to wait till 8:00. So it was a late night for everyone involved. About 9:00 Clara turned to Grandma and said, "Home please?" She's been talking about grandma quite a lot for the last few days, though. Today she called grandma on her phone, which happened to be one of my dress shoes.

I could go on, but I won't belabor the point. She's just so fun to hang out with lately.

No comments: