Thursday, September 4, 2014

Nathan Levi

Or, as he insisted today, his name is Nothing. He even wrote it on one of his homework pages. I let is pass because, he was happy, and his homework was getting done.





Nathan has been up to:

  • He just started first grade. Academically, he's great. Right where he should be. I worry a little about his behavior these first few weeks. But, crack the hammer down, and he'll settle in. That's his mojo.
  • His teacher told me he's got the best handwriting in the class. Not what I expected to hear, and it's really not a competition, but yeah. Best in the class. When he does settle in to do his work, he does it. 
  • He was disappointed the first week of school when they did not have any science. Hope they get to that soon, since that's really where his heart lies these days. He dallies between wanting to be an entomologist, paleontologist, or astronaut.
  • He hates to sit down and read. He doesn't like to do something that requires effort and practice. But when he does sit down and really do it, he does well. We got him to do it the other night because Peter wanted him to read to him. And there's not much you can say to refuse a baby brother.
  • Whenever Peter babbles, Nathan asks me what he's saying. So I translate. Usually it's things like, "I want you to read to me" or "I wish you guys would stop fighting." Once in a while, to keep it believable, it will be "I just ate and I feel so happy." And every time I say something, Nathan says, "Is that really what he just said, mom?" Yes. The answer is always yes.
  • We didn't do soccer or baseball or even swimming lessons this summer, but somehow he was always busy. Lego, Trios, blanket forts, collecting bugs in a jar, what have you. A few days ago he found a mushroom in the backyard and constructed Mushroom Town as a home for it, using sticks and small rocks from the side of the garage. The next day the mushroom had wilted so it became Rock Town. Rock Town was fun for the whole family, for hours.
  • I love to walk home from school with him since it's almost the best time for conversation. We talk about science things, or what he did that day, or some wild hypothetical scenario that he wishes would come true.
  • His favorite part about first grade is eating lunch at school and having three recesses.


He lives life deeply and intensely. When life is good, it's really good.

No comments: