Saturday, December 20, 2014

Quick December update

Alice has a new game. While I sit on the couch, sometimes feeding Peter, she will get a book and a toy phone. She will hand me the book and command: "Read." She was pretend to have a conversation on the toy phone while I read, aloud. If I do not read aloud and merely pretend to read she will stop her conversation long enough to point at the page: "Read!" If she would hand me one of my books this game would be great, but there's only so many times I can read the Berenstain Bear's Christmas book sans audience.

So far the Christmas tree has not been the draw we thought it would be. Peter is close but not yet crawling. Sitting, he'll lunge forward until he flips onto his belly, and he'll wiggle around, sideways and backwards, any way but the way he's trying. Levi said the other night he got from his stomach back to sitting, which is impressive. But no crawling. The tree is safe.

Safe from Peter, but not Alice. She's had so much fun with the tree. The night we decorated it she picked her favorite spot and piled it on. She had trouble hanging the ornaments, so she just set them on one branch. Every couple of minutes I'd find a stash of six or so tiny ornaments, hang them in other places, and then come back to find another little pile. In the days after she took great delight in playing with the ornaments until we threatened to take them all of the tree. She's done better since. Nathan and Clara got little star ornaments from Primary after the Primary program (why they neglected the nursery, I'll never know. Oh, the unfairness of it all.) and Alice wanted one so badly. So we found a star-shaped ornament in the box and now that's Alice's baby star. I'm not sure why it's a baby star but you had better not call it anything else.

Nathan has learned to keep a secret! He saw me buying a present for Levi online and has not yet spilled the beans. It was either Christmas or birthday last year that he did and I was so mad. He's so proud of himself and I am too. In first grade he wrote a letter to Santa and boy is he in for a great Christmas. He's pretty sure Santa is going to deliver: a tv, a ninja turtle, a viteo game [sic], a bb gun, a crocodile. I wish I could remember all the creative spellings because they were pretty priceless. He was all set to mail his letter to Santa but then it got lost. (I had nothing to do with this losing, unlike some others...) I'm hoping the loss of letter appeases his disappointment at not receiving maybe all of these things. He told me that (1) he would save the bb gun until he was 15 and (2) he had written an xbox on his list, but erased it, thereby showing restraint. Never mind he doesn't know what an xbox is; he needs one.

Clara will get her very own post, about her very first dance recital. Other than that, she's so excited for Christmas and her birthday. The other day she told me she was ready to be five because she could read books (e.g., make up words to go with the pictures). She just wishes her birthday could be moved up a little because (1) it's too hard to wait and (2) she can't bear to be behind her beloved Ainsley friend for an entire week and a half.

Five days! Maybe I should start wrapping presents. Being tired and a little sick is not an excuse. Peter has slept through the night three nights this week! Continuing that would be the best Christmas present.

No comments: