No pictures were taken for this post. Not that they'd have been any good.
Why, why, why do I ever take my kids places.
In my head, I know why. I love to see them experience new things. And when they're happy, it's really really fun. And when they're not, it's horrid.
Last night my brother had everyone over for dinner. I was excited, because they've lived in their house for nearly a year and I hadn't seen it yet. Something about being a little busy in January when they were moving, or something. Their house is 111 years old (or is it 110?) this year. Happy birthday, cool old house.
So. Dinner, and we did the gift exchange early, since Brady and Meghan will be in Oklahoma for Christmas. So, twenty-plus people in a little old house, dinner, and presents. We had a pretty good time, except for the two and a half year old who thinks he's a dictator. "I want a chocolate cookie!" And when you want a chocolate cookie, nothing else will do.
After dinner and presents, we decided to go see the lights at Temple Square. We've been meaning to, and hey, we're in Salt Lake already. Fun, right?
No. Nathan decided he would enjoy none of it, except riding the escalator in the visitor's center and trying to run away. We tried to distract him into enjoying the lights, but no. "No, there are not a lot of lights," he answered crossly. This contradictory phase of his cannot end fast enough.
We'd been there less than ten minutes when we decided to bail. And sweet Clara, who hadn't made a peep the entire time, arched away from me and lay her head back out into the air, her face poking out from under the umbrella, and watched the night sky as raindrops fell on her face. At least one of us was a stoic last night.
And Nathan? If I had my way, which I just might, he may not leave the house again until Christmas. Maybe that way he'll be rested enough to behave himself.
1 comment:
I know it's hard. I've been there. But I also know kids who never get taken places and their behavior is unbelievable when they go out. Be persistent about the behavior you expect. It gets easier. They do get to the point that they want to see those things and they will behave appropriately when they get the opportunity. Also remember that there are so many unknowns at this time of year for young kids that they get nervous, and the only way that they know to show it is by doing what we think of as misbehaving.
(and believe me, Nathan is very well behaved...you've done well already even if it doesn't feel like it)
Post a Comment