Monday, June 20, 2011

If I ran the zoo...

I'd go there more often. That's probably not what Dr. Seuss had in mind, but there you have it.

Last week was an extended marathon of grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles. Everybody was there, and that doesn't happen often. So when we get the chance, we do everything we can together. I regret I took so few pictures. But I did get some of our zoo outing.

We were lucky to get good weather, but we were unlucky that it was the hottest day of the year so far. We weren't used to it, and our newly-Canadian cousin was even less used to it. It was hot and exhausting.

 She's not really doing anything, but I cannot get enough of those pigtails.
 Who doesn't love a bronzed rhino? Our favorites for the day were elephants, fruit bats, monkeys, and giraffes. The definite not favorite for several cousins were the animatronic dinosaurs that squirted water and made scary noises.
 This is a futile picture trying to get the giraffe's blue tongue.
 I was at book club the night before, so I gave strict instructions to get the kids to bed on time. And, the report went, they were in bed on time but stayed up to play. This was the result. Clara conked out halfway through, and
 Nathan barricaded himself in the stroller while everyone else enjoyed the playground. He also refused to eat breakfast, so he cared less about seeing the animals and more about getting snacks.
 But everyone perked up when it was time for this. It's all anyone asked for all day.

We had a good week, everyone. Some of the highlights were: Jessica's blessing, playing trucks at the "real construction site," and, as always, the empanada night. Let's do it again sometime, shall we?

No comments: