I don't know who Peggy Scwendiman is, but she makes some good soup. My mom gave me a copy of an old ward cookbook from my ward growing up and it has a recipe for Chicken Noodle Soup, Peggy Schwendiman Style. And, mmmm.
Boil enough chicken breasts or thighs in 6 cups of water to make 3 cups of diced meat. Reserve water; remove meat. (I usually strain the water to get out the little goops of boiling chicken).
Add:
2 t sea salt
1 large onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
5 t chicken boullioun
3 carrots, diced
1 t basil
Boil 30 minutes; add diced chicken and noodles. Cook for 20 more minutes. This soup is delicious, especially with the following homemade noodles:
1 egg
2 t oil
2/3 c water
1 1/2 c flour
Mix by hand and roll out to 1/16 of an inch. cut narrow strips with pizza cutter. Add noodles to soup.
So, there you have it. Easy, delicious soup. A couple caveats: I never add that much boullion (talk about sodium). I don't have sea salt. I always add more carrots. And when making the noodles, always add the water last. Once I ended up with double the noodles I could fit in the soup because I had to keep adding flour to get a rollable dough.
This is dinner tonight. Yum.
1 comment:
Chicken soup with homemade noodles is always a winner!
Post a Comment