Friday, January 25, 2013

Doctor Visits

The last couple of weeks we've had ...doctor visits. As a family, in the last two weeks we've had a cumulative six doctor visits. All but two of those were for me. And the girls were lucky enough to have the best kind of doctor visits: well child appointments.

I was able to schedule Alice's 9 month and Clara's three year visits together. Alice is 15 lb 10oz, about the 7th percentile (don't worry, her head size is still the 75th percentile.) As for Clara, I was reading a friend's blog a while back wherein she said her two year old was 25 pounds. And I thought, "Oh, what a small kid." So, guess how big Clara is? 25 pounds. She's about the third percentile. It was also a great visit because no shots were needed. Unfortunately, that won't be the case in a couple of months when I schedule Alice's 1 year and Nathan's 5 year visits together. 

I won't dwell on all the myriad details of my illnesses since I'm tired of complaining. But last Friday after coming home with antibiotics for a double ear infection (third prescription of the week), I joked that there weren't many more parts of me that could be infected--maybe fingernails?) Ha. Then Wednesday I went back for thrush, and Thursday for conjunctivitis. The nurses and pharmacy techs are starting to get to know me.

But I'm getting better! (The power of positive thinking, you know.) My cold is gone and my ears are starting to clear out. I no longer sound like I'm underwater! And once my antibiotics are gone I'll start a probiotics course to get rid of this stupid thrush. I feel like I'm a walking petri dish. Luckily, though, I'm getting less contagious by the day.

And, fingers crossed, I don't seem to have passed any of this on to any of my family. Which is lucky. I've barely been able to take care of myself, let alone any other sickies.

And, something I've learned: if you ask people to ask your kids while you go to the doctor, they usually feed you lunch. It's pretty nice. I'm going to start inventing appointments, conveniently scheduled to end right about noon. I'll be making the rounds through friends and acquaintances. Just wait for your phone call, and be ready. Seriously, though, many thanks to those who have helped me with the kids the last couple weeks. You've been lifesavers. And of course, to Levi, who has really stepped up with cooking and kid duties when he's home so that I can rest. He's a good'un.

1 comment:

Kay and Jessie Barton said...

You don't have to invent excuses...just let me know you are bringing the kids over and I'll have lunch for all of you. It was fun!