On April Fool's Day our realtor called to assure us, "This isn't an April Fool's Prank, but someone wants to see your house in 45 minutes." We pushed it back another half hour, and I got to work, cleaning, loading kids in the car, and then final cleaning. I had it down to an art. Also, speed vacuuming is good exercise. We ended up having three showings that day.
Lots and lots of showings, but no offers. Until.
Peter got the best birthday present. He didn't really care about it, but Levi and I were happy.
It's been one month since we put our house up. We've had 29 showings, three birthdays, general conference weekend, and now...
One signed contract. Wahoo!
And none too soon. We were keeping the house pretty clean, ready to ship out at short notice. The kids were great. For a brief period they were picking up toys, putting dirty clothes in the hamper, all sorts of cleanliness. I loved it. But it also felt like we couldn't relax and just live in our house. Our house was on the market for exactly one month, and we had showings nearly every day. Sometimes as many as three in a day. It's a seller's market. And we are sellers. We spent lots of time at grandparents' houses, and then started a tour of Weber county playgrounds. Turns out most playground bathrooms are locked mid-March, so we also made a couple unscheduled visits to family members who happened to live near those parks. They were very gracious.
On Peter's birthday, we got two offers on our house. The first was all right, and we were planning our counteroffer, when we got another. Full asking price, and we pay closing costs. Done and done. More savvy negotiators might have tried to play them against each other to knock out the closing costs, but that's not us. I was just happy to sell it for more than we paid, since I've spent much of the last seven years sure that we would lose money on this house.
Closing isn't for six more weeks, which is perfect, since now the real work begins. Finding a new home.
No comments:
Post a Comment