Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Typo Eradication League

Some things are just too good to make up...
"I figured, Steinbeck had his dog and Kerouac had his drugs. I'd have my typos," said the 28-year-old Deck of what he calls his Typo Hunt Across America tour.
These seem like my kind of people. I was checking up on one of my favorite sites, Stuff White People Like (who knew I was so white?), and lo and behold, I found my soulmates of grammar. A couple of guys decided to travel around the country fixing typos on signs. Apparently their quest crossed the National Park Service's path, though. They got fined and banned from national parks for one year after their zeal defaced a historical sign at the Grand Canyon.

I still like people who don't know grammar. Usually I don't mention it (although I'm sure my poor dear Levi is tired of my triumph every time I find a mistake in the newspaper) because I know people find it annoying. And I don't like to make people feel stupid. But every now and then, I wish I had the chutzpah to go and fix other people's (very visible) errors. Because if you're going to put up a sign, you ought to put in the effort to make it correct.

Anyway, if you'd like to be inspired, check out the article here.

On a related note, once I saw a sign on a veterinary clinic that said:
Father's Day Special
20% off spay and neutering
Oh, the irony.

Don't worry; we're getting Nathan's education started early.

No comments: