Friday, September 5, 2008

Alfresco Living...Idaho Style

I'm not sure where Levi took this picture, but I'm pretty sure it was Preston. And I liked it, so now all you all have to look at it. Anyway, this past weekend was the now infamous Holliday family reunion. It's usually an idyllic weekend full of relaxing, a minimal amount of socializing (you mean I have to talk to people I'm kind of related to?), and a whole lot of good food.

And there was relaxing, socializing, the usual reunion what-have-you. And lots of good food, if you didn't mind that it was cooked in...what used to be a chicken coop. Starting Sunday afternoon, it rained. Our relaxing weekend got cold, dark, and wet. After we got tired of watching the tent drip onto our bedding, we moved to the back of our truck. Which worked admirably--we stayed dry and warm. It was definitely a reunion to remember--I'm sure there'll be skits about it next year.
So this is the Nathans all bundled up. If you've noticed that in many of these photos he seems to have the same expression, his face is not frozen this way. When he's being cute, though, and I get out the camera, he stares: "What is that thing you're pointing at me?" So he usually looks vaguely alarmed in pictures.

He loved camping, by the way. There's so much to look at outside that he doesn't get bored, or even very fussy when he's tired. The first night in the tent he slept great. And he slept almost as great in the truck. He loved camping so much, in fact, that he's staged his own sort of living-indoors strike. He has not slept good all week since we've been home. Not good naps, not good sleep at night. Thus, he's been ornery and I am far from chipper. Sorry to Levi.

On the way home, Levi got a little tired, so we figured Nathan was old enough to learn to drive. He is taller than 97% of babies his age, you know. Driving will probably come very naturally to him as a result. (Precocity in height means that he will automatically excel at everything he tries.)
And I had to throw this one in as well because it's just cute. And he doesn't look scared of the camera.

2 comments:

linnellbelle said...

Did you just say that being tall automatically makes you good at lots of other stuff? Did you? Did you realize that you are kinda short? Not to make you feel bad or anything but I felt that I should point that out.
Your brother, Jon.

(Okay, okay. It really is me.) But Jon-like comments kepts coming out so I thought I should give credit where credit is due.)

Jillary said...

Well, yes, I am kind of short. But just think--if I'm so amazing and short, just think what a tall version of me would be like! It will be great!