Friday, December 4, 2009

Adjusting to Life on the Inside

Well, here I am. Things are looking up now that I have a laptop and some Internets. Also since I got transferred from the room with the "window" that provided a lovely view of the hallway. Now I get to look at the half-empty duck pond, cars driving by, and mountains. The mountain is my favorite.

For those of you who haven't heard, I have placenta previa, where the placenta is sitting directly over my cervix. So early Monday morning when I started bleeding I followed instructions and headed to the hospital, where I have been ever since.

So it's a possibility that I may come home, although I will be on bed rest for the rest of this pregnancy, however long that is. It seems sort of unreal to think that I have a major complication that could have life-threatening consequences. So I'm being good, laying around, and taking care of myself and this baby.

But I'm keeping busy. I'm brushing up on my crocheting skills, am going to re-learn how to knit, watching a lot of tv and going through books at an alarming rate. Providentially, I was able to check my e-mail the other night and so was able to line up an editing job for the next couple of weeks. Keeping busy helps me to keep a positive attitude. And I can't deny it's a little bit nice to take a break from cooking and cleaning (Jon, don't read that last sentence since you'll be tempted to twit me on my "vacation" once again).

Last night Nathan was able to come visit. Although I'm only allowed three visitors, my mom was able to take me for a wheelchair ride out of the wing, where they have areas that we "undelivered" moms can go spend some time with our kids. There's I think four of us right now, just hanging out, not having babies. Nathan especially liked helping to push the wheelchair. He would have done it all by himself, if only he were tall enough to reach the handles.

Thanks to everyone for your help and prayers. I feel really blessed to be surrounded by people who are so willing to take over parenting duties for me. Not having to worry about Nathan has made this a lot easier. I really feel that although this is not a pleasant experience, everything will work out.

I'll keep you all updated as I know more.

2 comments:

Shelly and Kellan said...

Oh Hillary! I'm so sad for you! I'm glad that you can have a job that you can do anywhere. Keep me posted!

Lori said...

It sounds like things are going really well - that's great!!!