Whew. The day finally came. He's been counting down since January, and it's been a long wait. We started out the day with an Easter Saturday tradition, the egg hunt.
Then we headed to the train museum at Union Station. The kids had a great time running around the section with the model trains, following the tiny engines as they whizzed by. We had a hard time keeping track of them.
After the museum we went to Sandy's for lunch. After our food came, the kids were talking and we realized that they thought our waitress was Sandy. No, we explained, her name is Valerie. But obviously, if we're at Sandy's somebody must be named Sandy. And so when she brought our check, the ostensibly shy Clara asked, "Are you Sandy?" It was pretty funny. After we told her we didn't want dessert, Nathan said, "but I do want dessert." But, since the restaurant didn't have dragon birthday cake, he decided he'd better wait until that night. So when he heard the waitress asking the couple across the room if they wanted dessert, he announced loudly, "I'm going to have dragon cake at home." There was also some talk about maybe Sandy would have dragon cake at her house instead of her restaurant, and maybe we should go there, but in the end we decided to have dragon birthday cake at home. After dinner. Whew.
Then we headed home for a nap, during which the parents slept and the kids...watched tv. Not according to plan. They were pretty wired the entire day.
Nathan on one of his presents, a big kid bike. He's pretty excited about it, except that now he's got another thing to learn how to do. And I think he's a little more excited about the bike helmet he got than about the bike.
It's a dragon cake. It is. I had a baby two weeks ago and still managed to decorate a cake and go on a birthday outing. So, it's a dragon.
Alice opted to wear a cupcake shirt rather than eat cake.
While we were eating cake, Clara decided to finish the remains of her pizza. And something else.... Look closely. See? Apparently the wax turned her off the rest of her dessert, because she didn't eat her cake.
And what else happened? Oh, I sang Happy Birthday to the wrong kid. Clara blew out the candles just before we started singing, and so...
I need more sleep. But the birthday day was a big hit, thumbs up all around.
1 comment:
So cute. I love your dragon cake! I admit I wouldn't attempt to do that myself two weeks after having a baby. I'm impressed.
Thanks for the invite.
Post a Comment