Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sometimes it's nice to have a scapegoat

It's a good thing Alice only gets up once a night.

She takes about a half hour for eating and a diaper change. Then she snuggles off back to sleep. About this time, my stomach thinks: I'm vertical. Feed me.

And since I know that a mere drink of water won't subdue those nursing hunger pains, I obey. We head down to the kitchen, my stomach and I, and we dine. About this time, my brain thinks: I'm up. I'm eating. Now is the time to think about Important Things. Like why people make noises in their sleep and why I don't have more shoes, and whyamIstillawake.

Then I decide to read. Something boring is best, because then I can go back to sleep faster. This morning it was Twain's Life on the Mississippi which, while quite good, is less than riveting.

If I'm lucky, this all takes about an hour. But it usually takes longer. I'm blaming all this unsleeping on the prednisone. We're weaning down the dosage, my doctor and I, but these things take time. Apparently. I'm also using this as the excuse that I haven't lost any weight for three weeks. The first fifteen pounds was gone pretty quick, but it hasn't budged since. This is a first for me, so of course I'm gonnna blame it on the drugs (it of course has nothing to do with all those irritating middle-of-the-night snacks).

All this to say I'm not functioning at my peak. If I seem a little slow, you'll know why.

But, the baby is doing wonderfully. The kids even fight for who gets to hover, way too close, in her line of sight. They don't seem to be getting tired of her.

And, unrelated story: today on the way home from preschool, Nathan said, "I think it would be fun to have a new boat." (Did we walk past a boat? I don't know).

me: Well, that would be fun. But boats cost a lot of money.

Nathan: Yeah. You would need a big purse full of money to buy a boat.

me: Yes, that would probably work.

Nathan: Or maybe two.


So, happy Tuesday, all. I'm looking forward to pizza tonight, provided free of charge by a friend. Having a baby is great because it makes people want to give you things.

No comments: